The Pope County Administrator serves as the chief executive officer of the County and is responsible for the proper administration of the business matters of the County. The County Administrator’s work is performed under the general direction of the Pope County Board of Commissioners. The County Administrator exercises departmental supervision over all County personnel and non-elected department directors.
The County Administrator’s duties, consistent with Minnesota Statutes § 375A.06, are to:
- Carry out all ordinances, policies, resolutions, and orders of the Board and all laws of the State required to be enforced through the County Board.
- Direct the day-to-day operations of the County, including communicating and collaborating with all departmental leaders and elected officials.
- Serve as Clerk of the Board and prepare all Board meeting agendas, complete with time schedule, issues, and background information.
- Attend all County Board meetings and oversee recording of minutes.
- Monitor the actions of the County Board to ensure compliance with Board decisions and policies.
- Prepare and submit to the County Board a proposed annual budget with detailed estimates of revenue and expenditures.
- Keep the Board fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the County and make available other reports as, or when, needed.
- Conduct truth in taxation hearings in conjunction with the County Assessor and County Auditor-Treasurer.
- Advise on establishing and interpreting policies. Maintain Personnel Management Policy manual to keep current.
- Act as chief labor negotiator for the County and present proposals in bargaining sessions and mediation; and interpret labor contracts.
- Monitor and communicate to the Board any federal, state, and local government administrative, legislative, and judicial developments that may affect county operation, department directors, employees, and the public.
- Prepare written correspondence, memoranda, and reports on behalf of the County Board.
- Assist in the hiring process for leadership positions, participate in the panel, and correspond with applicants on behalf of the Board with Board approval or participation.
- Oversee the County’s procurement policy and work with departments to comply with all Federal or State procurement or contracting requirements.
- Act as the Responsible Authority for public data requests and all State and Federal compliance requirements.
- Serve as the County’s Risk Manager for safety, property and all insurance coverages.
- Hire, suspend, and remove non-department leaders and non-elected offices’ personnel.
- Complete annual performance reviews on all non-elected department heads.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Board.
Kersten Kappmeyer, Pope County Administrator