(320) 634-7700 | 130 E. Minnesota Avenue, Glenwood, MN 56334

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm Contact Us

Form CR-RP Instructions

What type of property qualifies for Rural Preserve?

If you own class 2b rural vacant land property that was properly enrolled in Green Acres for taxes payable in 2008 or own class 2b property that is part of an agricultural homestead that is enrolled in Green Acres, you may be eligible for Rural Preserve. You must apply with the county assessor.

The Property Must:

  • have been properly enrolled in Green Acres for taxes payable in 2008, or be part of an agricultural homestead and;
  • be contiguous to the Green Acres property;
  • not be enrolled in Green Acres, Open Space, Metropolitan Agricultural Preserves, or SFIA; and
  • have no delinquent property taxes owed on the land.

All parcles being enrolled for the tax deferral on this applicaiton must be under the same ownership.

How Rural Preserves Works

The assessor determines two values on land enrolled in Rural Preserve:

  1. The “estimated market value” based on sales of similar property taking into consideration all of the outside factors that influence its market value.
  2. The “value without regard to outside influences” or “Rural Preserve Value” which must not exceed the class 2a tilled value for that county.

Taxes are calculated on both values, but paid on the lower value each year. The difference between the taxes calculated on the higher and lower values is deferred until the property no longer qualifies for Rural Preserve.

How to Apply

Complete the application and attach a copy of the most recent available aerial photograph by the Farm Service Agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or the County GIS service clearly delineating the land you wish to enroll. You may work with your assessor to determine which acres you wish to enroll.

Rural Preserve applicaitons are made to and approved by the county assessor where the property is located. Application forms must be filed by May 1 in order to receive consideration for the following taxes payable year.

If you are granted deferment through this program, you will not be required to file this application each year. However, the county assessor may require you to provide an additional application or other proof deemed necessary to verify that you continue to qualify for the Rural Preserve deferment.

Required Documentation

You must attach a copy of the most recent available aerial photograph by the Farm Service Agency of the USDA or the County GIS service clearly outlining the land you wish to enroll.

What happens if I withdraw my property or if I no longer qualify for enrollment in Rural Preserve?

If you withdraw your property from the Rural Preserve program, or you no longer qualify for enrollment in the program, you must pay back deferred taxes for the year of termination plus the two prior years. The deferred taxes are a lien against the property. You are also responsible to pay for any deferred special local assessments.

Special Local Assessments

Special local assessments may be deferred while the property qualifies for Rural Preserve. When the property is withdrawn from the program or no longer qualifies for the program, all deferred special assessments plus interest are due. The total due will be payable in equil installments, spread over the time remaining until the last maturity date of the bonds issued to finance the improvement for which the special assessments were levied.

Use of Information

The information on this form is required by Minnesota Statutes, section 273.114 to properly identify you and determine if you qualify for this property tax program. If you do not provide the required information, your application may be delayed or denied. Your County Assessor may also ask for additional verification of qualifications.


Contact your County Assessor’s Office for assistance.

Last updated by the Pope County Assessor’s office February 28, 2024