As a participant in the National Flood Insurance Program, Pope County is required to use the Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), periodically updated by FEMA, to regulate development in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). The current effective FIRMs for the unincorporated areas of Pope County area were published in 1986.
FEMA recently released (May 2020) preliminary digital flood insurance rate maps for these areas of Pope County. The maps, subject to change pending final approval from FEMA, are now available for viewing using the following links:
- Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) & Database (downloadable pdfs and digital data)
- Pope County Floodplain Map – Effective vs. Preliminary (Pope County web map viewer)
- FEMA Preliminary Flood Hazard Zone Viewer (FEMA web map viewer)
- FEMA Preliminary Flood Insurance Study (PDF)
The FEMA designated floodplain is managed under the Pope County Flood Plain Management Ordinance No. 5 (PDF).
If your structure or building is determined to be in a floodplain our office may be able to assist you with submission of a Letter of Map Change request to the floodplain map. Please contact our office for further information, 320-634-7791.
- MN DNR Floodplain Management
- MN DNR Estimating the 100-Year Flood Elevation on Lakes
- MN DNR Floodplain: Elevation Requirements
- FEMA Flood Map Service Center
- FEMA Change a Flood Zone Designation – Online Letter of Map Change
- FEMA National Flood Insurance Program – Elevation Certificate and Instructions