Highway / Engineering
Project Updates - NEED
The Highway Department is responsible for maintenance & construction on all county streets & highways.
The Department currently has 18 employees responsible for 370 miles of roadways and 64 bridges.
Some specific duties within the Department include the following:
- Planning, designing, constructing and inspecting all road and bridge projects.
- Preparation of a 5-year plan outlining proposed road and bridge projects.
- Acquisition of necessary easements and Right of Way.
- Administration of construction contracts and maintenance projects.
- Annual safety Inspections of all bridges including township & city bridge.
- Providing County road maintenance, including ice and snow removal, on 240 miles of bituminous roads and 130 miles of gravel roads.
- Mowing and maintenance of county road ditches.
- Repairing and maintaining County vehicles and related equipment.
- Develop and maintain a bike/walking trail system for Pope County.
Brian Giese, Pope County Highway/Engineering